Why should I see a doctor if I suspect I am going through perimenopause?

Julia Schlam Edelman
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you are experiencing hot flashes, night sweats, and irregular periods that can go along with perimenopause, you may take them all in stride, assuming they are all part of "getting old."

I encourage you to avoid the temptation of identifying perimenopause on your own rather than seeing a doctor to diagnose your symptoms. Self-diagnosis may result in overlooking problems that need to be addressed. You may miss the opportunity to discover a disorder that can be treated -- and that may or may not be related to menopause. Different symptoms that resemble the problems of menopause can actually be caused by other health disorders. For example, many of the symptoms associated with perimenopause and postmenopause can be caused by a thyroid abnormality. In those instances, appropriate diagnosis and treatment of the underlying thyroid imbalance can put an end to the symptoms.

Continue Learning about Menopause

3 Tips to Ease Menopause Symptoms
3 Tips to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Even with the recent news that hormone replacement therapy is once again okay for treating menopause symptoms, there’s plenty else you can do to manag...
Should I stop drinking coffee if I have hot flashes or night sweats?
Dr. Julia Schlam EdelmanDr. Julia Schlam Edelman
Most hot flash/night sweat sufferers are relieved to hear that it is not necessary to give up coffee...
8 Changes That Come With Menopause
8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause
Are you having sleeping problems? Hot flashes? Mood swings? Here’s what you need to know.
What Is the Average Onset Age of Perimenopause?