Why should I see a doctor if I suspect I am going through perimenopause?

Julia Schlam Edelman
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you are experiencing hot flashes, night sweats, and irregular periods that can go along with perimenopause, you may take them all in stride, assuming they are all part of "getting old."

I encourage you to avoid the temptation of identifying perimenopause on your own rather than seeing a doctor to diagnose your symptoms. Self-diagnosis may result in overlooking problems that need to be addressed. You may miss the opportunity to discover a disorder that can be treated -- and that may or may not be related to menopause. Different symptoms that resemble the problems of menopause can actually be caused by other health disorders. For example, many of the symptoms associated with perimenopause and postmenopause can be caused by a thyroid abnormality. In those instances, appropriate diagnosis and treatment of the underlying thyroid imbalance can put an end to the symptoms.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Alternative Treatments for Menopause
Alternative Treatments for Menopause
In 2002, the Women’s Health Initiative found that the risks of Premarin and Provera treatment for menopause outweighed the benefits. Since that time, ...
Why should I have a list of menopause questions for my doctor?
We wrote a whole book about being a smart patient because it can make a huge difference in the quali...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
How Can a Woman Treat Vaginal Dryness Caused by Menopause?