Why should I have a list of menopause questions for my doctor?

We wrote a whole book about being a smart patient because it can make a huge difference in the quality of your care and what you get out of each of your visits with your doctor. Asking questions is a big part of that. And record what she answers, or bring a person with you (not your hubby; he is probably not very useful with this task). So you know just what you’re getting into, here are some good questions you can ask your doctor about menopause:
  • Am I in menopause or pregnant (really, it could happen)?
  • Have you checked my thyroid?
  • What is my risk for health conditions like heart disease, osteoporosis or diabetes?
  • Should I get any blood tests?
  • Should I get a bone scan?
  • Should I be taking any medications or supplements?
  • Should I be taking two baby aspirins a day (we think everyone on HT should be, and many more)?
  • What can I do to quell hot flashes, night sweats and vaginal dryness?
  • What other preventive measures should I take?
  • Am I healthy enough for exercise?
 Ask if you can record the answers on your smart phone or have a partner or friend with you to jot down the answers. They’ll be a good reference to have later on when you’re wondering what the doctor said last time you asked.
Bring a list of questions to the doctor's office to ensure that you walk away feeling more confident in your ability to manage menopause. By all means, do not assume that your doctor will ask about your menopause symptoms. With the pressures of managed care weighing on them, many physicians conduct office visits with a military-like efficiency. It's not that your doctor doesn't want to spend more time with you. He or she probably just wants to get home before the kids go to bed.

So start thinking about all the questions you want to ask about menopause a few days before your appointment. Type them up, print them out, and pack them in your pocket. Tell your doctor at the outset of your appointment that you have questions to ask, so that he or she can allow enough time to answer them.

Continue Learning about Menopause

The Best Foods to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Hot flashes aren’t the only unwelcome part of menopause—the change also brings plenty of unsolicited advice. Friends and relatives who have already go...
What is the occurrence rate of sleep problems during menopause?
According to the National Sleep Foundation, the time between perimenopause and post-menopause is whe...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
Does Black Cohosh Help Reduce Hot Flashes?