Why should I eat flaxseed if I'm going through menopause?

Julia Schlam Edelman
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
A small study by the Mayo Clinic indicates that flaxseed may be effective in treating hot flashes. In the study, women suffering from hot flashes (at least 14 hot flashes a week) who added four tablespoons of crushed flaxseed a day to their diet for six consecutive weeks halved their number of daily hot flashes.

In addition, the intensity of their hot flashes dropped by 57 percent. The women in the study also reported improved mood. While some consider it pre-mature to strongly recommend flaxseed, this option looks promising and, so far, no adverse effects have been reported. Flaxseed also contains healthy omega-3 fatty acids, giving it heart-health benefits as well. It is easily added to cereal, juice, yogurt, or fruit dishes, so most women do not find it difficult to introduce it into their daily meals.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Hot Flashes, Night Sweats, and More
Hot Flashes, Night Sweats, and More
Feel like the only thing that fluctuates more than your hormones is the consensus on hormone therapy? The truth is, hormone therapy—used to manage men...
Why am I having trouble with my memory during menopause?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
You may be having trouble with your memory during menopause as a result of a decrease in serum estro...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
How Does Menopause Affect My Risk of Heart Disease?