Why should I eat flaxseed if I'm going through menopause?

Julia Schlam Edelman
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
A small study by the Mayo Clinic indicates that flaxseed may be effective in treating hot flashes. In the study, women suffering from hot flashes (at least 14 hot flashes a week) who added four tablespoons of crushed flaxseed a day to their diet for six consecutive weeks halved their number of daily hot flashes.

In addition, the intensity of their hot flashes dropped by 57 percent. The women in the study also reported improved mood. While some consider it pre-mature to strongly recommend flaxseed, this option looks promising and, so far, no adverse effects have been reported. Flaxseed also contains healthy omega-3 fatty acids, giving it heart-health benefits as well. It is easily added to cereal, juice, yogurt, or fruit dishes, so most women do not find it difficult to introduce it into their daily meals.

Continue Learning about Menopause

The Best Foods to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Hot flashes aren’t the only unwelcome part of menopause—the change also brings plenty of unsolicited advice. Friends and relatives who have already go...
How much physical activity should I do in menopause?
The key is to stick with an exercise program that you’ll enjoy doing long term. Overall, your long-t...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
Try This Therapy to Improve Sex After Menopause