What are the warning signs of perimenopausal rage?

Here is a list of warning signs for perimenopausal rage:

1. Mood swings within minutes: Are you fine one minute, and sad, overwhelmed or crying the next -- does this sound familiar? Your moods are changing like the flip of a light switch with no warning. This moment-to-moment flip-flop of emotions is often a sign of hormonal imbalance.

2. Out-of-proportion anger: Totally overreacting to even little things is part of this anger. These responses are over-the-top in regard to what is usually considered "small stuff." Agitation and irritability surface in response to minor events.

3. A long history of premenstrual syndrome (PMS): If you already have had a tendency to experience premenstrual symptoms, the more extreme hormone fluctuations of perimenopause can exaggerate your symptoms tenfold, and can lead to perimenopausal rage. I almost always find that PMS is worse in women who don't support their systems adequately using healthy nutrition and lifestyle measures.

4. Previous postpartum depression: I am always interested to hear what pregnancy was like for the women I meet in my practice. I have found that women with postpartum depression have brains that are wired to be very sensitive to hormone changes. From my experience, I consider women who report having postpartum depression in the past at greater risk for developing more difficult perimenopausal and menopausal symptoms, including this type of perimenopausal rage.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Does Menopause Make You Fat?
Does Menopause Make You Fat?
Everyone dreads the midlife spread, but is it inevitable—and is it due to menopause? "There's no strong data to show that weight gain is related to m...
How can I keep menopause from wrecking my marriage or relationship?
Staness JonekosStaness Jonekos
Life is constantly changing, and relationships are no different. Have real expectations and acknowle...
8 Changes That Come With Menopause
8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause
Are you having sleeping problems? Hot flashes? Mood swings? Here’s what you need to know.
Can a Proper Diet Help in Dealing with Hot Flashes?