What are the warning signs of perimenopausal rage?

Here is a list of warning signs for perimenopausal rage:

1. Mood swings within minutes: Are you fine one minute, and sad, overwhelmed or crying the next -- does this sound familiar? Your moods are changing like the flip of a light switch with no warning. This moment-to-moment flip-flop of emotions is often a sign of hormonal imbalance.

2. Out-of-proportion anger: Totally overreacting to even little things is part of this anger. These responses are over-the-top in regard to what is usually considered "small stuff." Agitation and irritability surface in response to minor events.

3. A long history of premenstrual syndrome (PMS): If you already have had a tendency to experience premenstrual symptoms, the more extreme hormone fluctuations of perimenopause can exaggerate your symptoms tenfold, and can lead to perimenopausal rage. I almost always find that PMS is worse in women who don't support their systems adequately using healthy nutrition and lifestyle measures.

4. Previous postpartum depression: I am always interested to hear what pregnancy was like for the women I meet in my practice. I have found that women with postpartum depression have brains that are wired to be very sensitive to hormone changes. From my experience, I consider women who report having postpartum depression in the past at greater risk for developing more difficult perimenopausal and menopausal symptoms, including this type of perimenopausal rage.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause

Menopause

If you are a woman in your 40s and 50s, you might notice that your periods start to change as menopause approaches. During menopause, the menstrual cycle becomes less predictable, and many women start to experience uncomfortable s...

ymptoms like hot flashes, vaginal dryness, and/or changes in mood.