What questions should I ask my doctor about menopause?

Review the following questions about menopause so you're prepared to discuss this important health issue with your healthcare professional.
  • How many women in my age group do you treat? What percentage does this number represent of your total practice?
  • Are you comfortable treating perimenopausal and postmenopausal women? If not, can you refer me to a colleague who is?
  • Do you consider yourself up-to-date on treatment options for perimenopausal and postmenopausal health concerns, including hormone therapy and other medical therapies?
  • Can you arrange for evaluations for osteoporosis and heart disease? At what age should I have these evaluations?
  • If I am interested in alternative therapies, will you work with me to help identify those that might be helpful or refer me to someone who is a safe and knowledgeable practitioner?
  • I don't feel well in several different ways. Are my symptoms due to menopause or another condition?
  • How do I know if my on-again, off-again bleeding is perimenopause or another problem?
  • My sex drive is low. Can this be due to menopause or other factors in my life?
  • Will my incontinence stop after menopause, and what can I do about it now?
  • Can you discuss the most recent research about hormone therapy and its safety with me? How do the benefits and risks of hormone therapy apply to my personal health needs?

Continue Learning about Menopause

How Can Women Minimize Hot Flashes During Menopause?
Can Exercise Improve Hot Flashes?
Can Exercise Improve Hot Flashes?
What Are Treatment Options for Menopause Symptoms?
What Is the Average Onset Age of Perimenopause?