What questions should I ask my doctor about menopause?

Review the following questions about menopause so you're prepared to discuss this important health issue with your healthcare professional.
  • How many women in my age group do you treat? What percentage does this number represent of your total practice?
  • Are you comfortable treating perimenopausal and postmenopausal women? If not, can you refer me to a colleague who is?
  • Do you consider yourself up-to-date on treatment options for perimenopausal and postmenopausal health concerns, including hormone therapy and other medical therapies?
  • Can you arrange for evaluations for osteoporosis and heart disease? At what age should I have these evaluations?
  • If I am interested in alternative therapies, will you work with me to help identify those that might be helpful or refer me to someone who is a safe and knowledgeable practitioner?
  • I don't feel well in several different ways. Are my symptoms due to menopause or another condition?
  • How do I know if my on-again, off-again bleeding is perimenopause or another problem?
  • My sex drive is low. Can this be due to menopause or other factors in my life?
  • Will my incontinence stop after menopause, and what can I do about it now?
  • Can you discuss the most recent research about hormone therapy and its safety with me? How do the benefits and risks of hormone therapy apply to my personal health needs?

Continue Learning about Menopause

All About Perimenopause
All About Perimenopause
Between mood swings and weight fluctuations, perimenopause can make you feel like a teenager again—and not necessarily in a good way. Hormonal changes...
Why should I have a list of menopause questions for my doctor?
We wrote a whole book about being a smart patient because it can make a huge difference in the quali...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
What Are Treatment Options for Menopause Symptoms?