What is perimenopausal rage?

Marcy Holmes, MSN, NP
Nursing Specialist

In this video, I discuss how perimenopausal rage is different from normal anger.

Sometimes the hormone changes of perimenopause and menopause reveal the emotional issues you need to work on. There are options for anger management, couples counseling, or personal one-on-one therapy. Some women find cognitive behavioral therapy very helpful. It can help you work on the problems you have in the "here and now," but with new skills for managing them. Then, when you are ready, you may pursue deeper emotional work, which can help you grow as a person. The most important element here is to find a counselor you can feel comfortable working with.

I have worked closely with women of all ages and the common theme we see is that sugar, caffeine, alcohol and stress will exaggerate any hormonal symptoms that are occurring. Unstable blood sugar and an over-activated stress response—on top of hormone fluctuations—create a perfect storm for emotional outbursts and perimenopausal rage.

If you can curb these dietary triggers, and pay more attention to what you put into your body, then your brain may be better able to cope with the hormone imbalances of perimenopause.

Alcohol may calm your nerves while you're drinking it, but if you don't drink in moderation, or if you use it nightly, then you may find it actually feeds your rage the next day!

Watch this video for more of my tips and information about women's health.

Continue Learning about Menopause

All About Perimenopause
All About Perimenopause
Between mood swings and weight fluctuations, perimenopause can make you feel like a teenager again—and not necessarily in a good way. Hormonal changes...
If menopause isn't an illness, why should I see my doctor?
Your question reminds me of the title of the old Billie Holiday song, "You've Changed." Menopause is...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
Best Treatment for Menopause and Depression