What is bazedoxifene?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Bazedoxifene is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues, such as the uterus and bone. It is combined with estrogen in a pill called Duavee that is FDA-approved to treat moderate or severe hot flashes and prevent osteoporosis in menopausal women who still have a uterus. Bazedoxifene is a substitute for the progestin that is usually combined with estrogen in hormone therapy. It is less likely than progestins to cause breast pain and uterine bleeding. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause and Sex
Menopause and Sex
News flash. Remember the umpteen stories you've read about how women's sex drive goes into reverse once she enters her perimenopause years (typically,...
Why should I have a list of menopause questions for my doctor?
We wrote a whole book about being a smart patient because it can make a huge difference in the quali...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
Why Anxiety Could be a Sign of Menopause