What is bazedoxifene?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Bazedoxifene is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues, such as the uterus and bone. It is combined with estrogen in a pill called Duavee that is FDA-approved to treat moderate or severe hot flashes and prevent osteoporosis in menopausal women who still have a uterus. Bazedoxifene is a substitute for the progestin that is usually combined with estrogen in hormone therapy. It is less likely than progestins to cause breast pain and uterine bleeding. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Menopause

6 Things You Need to Know About Hormone Therapy
If you’re going through menopause or perimenopause, you may be experiencing symptoms such as hot flashes, sleep problems, vaginal dryness or changes i...
Does menopause make you fat?
Aparna Sridhar, MDAparna Sridhar, MD
There may be changes in body fat distribution and body composition due to hormonal changes occurring...
7 Expert-Approved Ways to Relieve Hot Flashes
7 Expert-Approved Ways to Relieve Hot Flashes7 Expert-Approved Ways to Relieve Hot Flashes7 Expert-Approved Ways to Relieve Hot Flashes7 Expert-Approved Ways to Relieve Hot Flashes
There are many things you can do to minimize this annoying symptom, which for some starts during perimenopause.
Can I Tell When a Hot Flash Will Be Coming?