What is bazedoxifene?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Bazedoxifene is a drug that affects how estrogen acts on body tissues, such as the uterus and bone. It is combined with estrogen in a pill called Duavee that is FDA-approved to treat moderate or severe hot flashes and prevent osteoporosis in menopausal women who still have a uterus. Bazedoxifene is a substitute for the progestin that is usually combined with estrogen in hormone therapy. It is less likely than progestins to cause breast pain and uterine bleeding. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Menopause

Does Menopause Make You Fat?
Does Menopause Make You Fat?
Everyone dreads the midlife spread, but is it inevitable—and is it due to menopause? "There's no strong data to show that weight gain is related to m...
How can I change my diet and exercise routine to prevent hot flashes?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Some women find that limiting or totally avoiding spicy foods, hot drinks, soups, alcohol, sugary sn...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
Can a Proper Diet Help in Dealing with Hot Flashes?