Plant-based foods that contain isoflavones (plant estrogens) work in the body like a weak form of estrogen. For this reason, soy may help relieve menopause symptoms, although research results are contradictory. Some may help lower cholesterol levels and have been suggested to relieve hot flashes and night sweats. Isoflavones can be found in foods such as tofu and soy milk.
- Q During menopause, can diet affect how medications work?
- Q How can I add more iron-rich foods to my diet during or after menopause?
- Q How do I correct hormonal deficiencies with nutritional supplements?
- Q Can food and drinks affect health during menopause?
- Q Can foods that are healthy still aggravate menopausal symptoms?
- Q What are healthy dairy choices for women after menopause?