Plant-based foods that contain isoflavones (plant estrogens) work in the body like a weak form of estrogen. For this reason, soy may help relieve menopause symptoms, although research results are contradictory. Some may help lower cholesterol levels and have been suggested to relieve hot flashes and night sweats. Isoflavones can be found in foods such as tofu and soy milk.
- Q Why should I eat flaxseed if I'm going through menopause?
- Q What are the dietary recommendations for someone going through menopause?
- Q Does my diet during menopause affect how my medications will work?
- Q How can foods help me to sleep better during menopause?
- Q How can I add more iron-rich foods to my diet during or after menopause?
- Q How do I correct hormonal deficiencies with nutritional supplements?