Plant-based foods that contain isoflavones (plant estrogens) work in the body like a weak form of estrogen. For this reason, soy may help relieve menopause symptoms, although research results are contradictory. Some may help lower cholesterol levels and have been suggested to relieve hot flashes and night sweats. Isoflavones can be found in foods such as tofu and soy milk.
- Q Should menopausal women limit the amount of sugar in their diet?
- Q What are healthy dairy choices for women after menopause?
- Q Can foods that are healthy still aggravate menopausal symptoms?
- Q Why should I eat flaxseed if I'm going through menopause?
- Q How can I add more iron-rich foods to my diet during or after menopause?
- Q How can foods help me to sleep better during menopause?