Plant-based foods that contain isoflavones (plant estrogens) work in the body like a weak form of estrogen. For this reason, soy may help relieve menopause symptoms, although research results are contradictory. Some may help lower cholesterol levels and have been suggested to relieve hot flashes and night sweats. Isoflavones can be found in foods such as tofu and soy milk.
- Q Should menopausal women limit the amount of sugar in their diet?
- Q What are healthy dairy choices for women after menopause?
- Q Can food and drinks affect health during menopause?
- Q How can foods help me to sleep better during menopause?
- Q Does my diet during menopause affect how my medications will work?
- Q What are the dietary recommendations for someone going through menopause?