What foods should I eat during menopause?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There are good calcium choices for healthier diets for women after menopause. Plain fat-free yogurt has 3 times the calcium as ice cream. Also, the low-fat milks have more calcium than the ones higher in fat. If you look for higher calcium foods, watch for low-fat options, you will gain calcium and not add fat to your diet. Other good options for high sources of calcium are broccoli, turnip greens and soybeans.

Toby Smithson
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

After menopause, women require 1200 milligrams of calcium per day. Milk, yogurt and cheese are some of the best dairy sources that are rich in calcium. There are 300 milligrams of calcium in an eight ounce cup of skim or 1 percent milk. As for yogurt and cheeses, you will need to look at the nutrition facts panel on the label to find out how much calcium is in each of the products. If a label says 30 percent calcium, that is equivalent to 300 milligrams of calcium. Cheeses and yogurts vary in the amount of calcium. For all dairy products choose the lower fat version (skim or 1 percent) for less calories and as a prevention method for heart disease.

Ms. Vandana  R. Sheth
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

A healthy diet that includes whole grains, colorful fruits and vegetables, lean protein, heart healthy fats including omega 3 fats, low fat/nonfat dairy/dairy alternatives is ideal for any stage of life including menopause. Eating right, staying physical active (including strength training), and having a positive attitude are especially important during menopause to avoid unnecessary weight gain.

Mrs. Marjorie Nolan Cohn
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Plant-based foods that contain isoflavones (plant estrogens) work in the body like a weak form of estrogen. For this reason, soy may help relieve menopause symptoms, although research results are contradictory. Some may help lower cholesterol levels and have been suggested to relieve hot flashes and night sweats. Isoflavones can be found in foods such as tofu and soy milk.

Continue Learning about Menopause

What Causes Hot Flashes?
What Causes Hot Flashes?
What Are Treatment Options for Menopause Symptoms?
Can a Proper Diet Help in Dealing with Hot Flashes?
What Can I Do to Relieve Hot Flashes?
What Can I Do to Relieve Hot Flashes?