What causes vaginal dryness in menopause?

Staness Jonekos
Health Education
After women pass through perimenopause into menopause, almost 50 percent are left with an unanticipated loss of libido and vaginal dryness. Vaginal dryness can affect the libido.

Estrogen, important for maintaining vaginal health and lubrication, is the hormone that actually plumps up the cells in the vagina. When estrogen levels decline, the vaginal walls can become thinner, less elastic and dryer.

Not only does the physical act of intercourse become a challenge as a result of vaginal dryness, but the emotional dialogue that goes on in one’s head when lubrication no longer comes naturally, can increase stress levels for the woman and the man. This double whammy can end in frustration and confusion.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause and Sex
Menopause and Sex
News flash. Remember the umpteen stories you've read about how women's sex drive goes into reverse once she enters her perimenopause years (typically,...
Can herbal remedies reduce symptoms of menopause?
There is some support for the idea that some herbal remedies may help alleviate menopausal symptoms....
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
When Should I See a Doctor for Menopause Symptoms?