Are there ways to avoid hot flashes?

The first line of defense is to control the triggers. It is not impossible, but may be difficult for some because it almost always involves some type of lifestyle change.

For instance, you may enjoy spicy Mexican food - but if that triggers your hot flashes, you may need to stay away from it.

If you notice you have hot flashes after having that afternoon cigarette, it is probably wise to stop smoking.

If there is something that stresses you out and then you have hot flashes, you need to figure out how to reduce your stress.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Does Menopause Make You Fat?
Does Menopause Make You Fat?
Everyone dreads the midlife spread, but is it inevitable—and is it due to menopause? "There's no strong data to show that weight gain is related to m...
Why do women gain more weight in their stomach during menopause?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
The decrease in estrogen that occurs with menopause has long been blamed for the weight gain many wo...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
What Can I Do to Relieve Hot Flashes?
What Can I Do to Relieve Hot Flashes?