Why am I having trouble with my memory during menopause?

As we age and experience menopause, there is some normal decline with memory. Abnormal trouble with memory could indicate more serious conditions and should be investigated.

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Hormonal changes during menopause can affect memory. Also, if you are having trouble sleeping, that can complicate memory issues. It isn't clear why memory suffers during menopause. It may just be part of the normal aging process, aggravated by menopause. If memory issues are affecting your quality of life, talk to your doctor.

You may be having trouble with your memory during menopause as a result of a decrease in serum estrogen. Memory problems are a common complaint in postmenopausal women. Estrogen is produced by the ovaries and after menopause, estrogen secretion decreases and eventually stops (as a result of ovarian follicular depletion). The brain has many estrogen receptors but they are particularly concentrated in the part of the brain that is responsible for memory.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Natural Ways to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Natural Ways to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Menopause, the time in a woman’s life when her menstrual cycle stops, typically starts after age 45. “The change,” as it’s commonly called, happens wh...
Is menopause considered an illness?
Menopause is not considered an illness. Menopause is a normal response to hormone changes in the...
How can I avoid sleep problems during menopause?
To avoid sleep problems during menopause, there are many things you can do: Get regular exercise ...
3 Ways to Avoid Weight Gain During Menopause