Why am I having trouble with my memory during menopause?

As we age and experience menopause, there is some normal decline with memory. Abnormal trouble with memory could indicate more serious conditions and should be investigated.

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Hormonal changes during menopause can affect memory. Also, if you are having trouble sleeping, that can complicate memory issues. It isn't clear why memory suffers during menopause. It may just be part of the normal aging process, aggravated by menopause. If memory issues are affecting your quality of life, talk to your doctor.

You may be having trouble with your memory during menopause as a result of a decrease in serum estrogen. Memory problems are a common complaint in postmenopausal women. Estrogen is produced by the ovaries and after menopause, estrogen secretion decreases and eventually stops (as a result of ovarian follicular depletion). The brain has many estrogen receptors but they are particularly concentrated in the part of the brain that is responsible for memory.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause and Sex
Menopause and Sex
News flash. Remember the umpteen stories you've read about how women's sex drive goes into reverse once she enters her perimenopause years (typically,...
How can I keep menopause from wrecking my marriage or relationship?
Staness JonekosStaness Jonekos
Life is constantly changing, and relationships are no different. Have real expectations and acknowle...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
Why Anxiety Could be a Sign of Menopause