Why do I feel tense and irritable during menopause?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine

Estrogen level changes during menopause can cause issues with irritability, mood swings, anxiety, or feelings of melancholy. As the estrogen levels begin to decline, these emotional changes can last even after menopause while your body adjusts. If the emotional changes begin to affect your quality of life, be sure to talk to your doctor about these changes and look for treatment solutions.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Alternative Treatments for Menopause
Alternative Treatments for Menopause
In 2002, the Women’s Health Initiative found that the risks of Premarin and Provera treatment for menopause outweighed the benefits. Since that time, ...
Can I get pregnant while in perimenopause?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
The end of fertility, the ability to become pregnant, is very difficult to determine. Although unlik...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
How Does Menopause Affect My Risk of Heart Disease?