How often should menopausal women get pelvic exams?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
This is a debatable question and there are numerous theories on how often a menopausal woman should have a pelvic exam. In my experience, I believe that if a menopausal woman is in a monogamous relationship and has had three normal Pap smears in a row then she can go to an every three-year Pap smear. If a patient has a history of abnormal Pap smears in the past or is not in a monogamous relationship, I would recommend them having yearly Pap smears and pelvic exams. Lastly, a patient who has had a hysterectomy and her ovaries removed, if she is in a monogamous relationship and is not having any types of vaginal discomfort or vaginal or pelvic problems, I believe it is not necessary for her to have a pelvic exam, and she could be better suited by seeing an internist for health maintenance.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause: To Sweat or Not to Sweat
Menopause: To Sweat or Not to Sweat
When you're suffering from hot flashes, the last thing you want to do is work up a sweat. But research shows that it could be just the ticket to saili...
How does menopause change bone structure?
Menopause speeds up the normal process of bone loss and reduces bone mineral density, which makes yo...
8 Changes That Come With Menopause
8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause
Are you having sleeping problems? Hot flashes? Mood swings? Here’s what you need to know.
What Causes Hot Flashes?
What Causes Hot Flashes?