How often should menopausal women get pelvic exams?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
This is a debatable question and there are numerous theories on how often a menopausal woman should have a pelvic exam. In my experience, I believe that if a menopausal woman is in a monogamous relationship and has had three normal Pap smears in a row then she can go to an every three-year Pap smear. If a patient has a history of abnormal Pap smears in the past or is not in a monogamous relationship, I would recommend them having yearly Pap smears and pelvic exams. Lastly, a patient who has had a hysterectomy and her ovaries removed, if she is in a monogamous relationship and is not having any types of vaginal discomfort or vaginal or pelvic problems, I believe it is not necessary for her to have a pelvic exam, and she could be better suited by seeing an internist for health maintenance.

Continue Learning about Menopause

All About Perimenopause
All About Perimenopause
Between mood swings and weight fluctuations, perimenopause can make you feel like a teenager again—and not necessarily in a good way. Hormonal changes...
How can I relieve vaginal dryness caused by menopause?
Estrogen, a natural hormone produced by the body, helps keep the vagina lubricated and supple. Follo...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
Does Black Cohosh Help Reduce Hot Flashes?