Is it normal to be more interested in sex after menopause?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine

Some women may be more interested in sex after menopause due to more privacy or the fact that pregnancy is no longer a possibility. Children may be out on their own and you may have more flexibility with the timing of intimacy. Also, couples that have been together longer may be more comfortable with what each other needs for enjoyment. With menopause, women can also feel new sexual freedom without the worries of birth control. Preferences and frequency are different for each individual and you should be comfortable with your preferences.

Continue Learning about Menopause

All About Perimenopause
All About Perimenopause
Between mood swings and weight fluctuations, perimenopause can make you feel like a teenager again—and not necessarily in a good way. Hormonal changes...
Does my family history determine when I'll start menopause?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
While your mother's age at natural menopause is commonly cited as predicting your age at menopause, ...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
What Causes Hot Flashes?
What Causes Hot Flashes?