Is menopause the beginning of the end of life for women?

A woman who thinks of reaching menopause as the beginning of the end may need a refresher course in mathematics. The average age when a woman becomes menopausal--that is, she stops having menstrual periods--is 51. Meanwhile, on average, a woman in the United States lives to be about 80.

Do the math. That means a postmenopausal woman has more than one-third of her life ahead of her. It's better to think of this transition as the beginning of the rest of your life.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Hot Flashes, Night Sweats, and More
Hot Flashes, Night Sweats, and More
Feel like the only thing that fluctuates more than your hormones is the consensus on hormone therapy? The truth is, hormone therapy—used to manage men...
As a menopausal woman, what can I do about my increased anxiety?
As a menopausal woman it is important that you identify the symptoms of increased anxiety that you'r...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
Can a Proper Diet Help in Dealing with Hot Flashes?