If menopause isn't an illness, why should I see my doctor?

Menopause can cause serious symptoms in some women. Talk with your doctor about any changes that are affecting your quality of life, especially if menopausal symptoms affect your productivity or sleep patterns. There is treatment available.

Menopause is a natural process, not an illness, but you should still see your doctor on a regular basis. Menopause can lead to health issues, such as osteoporosis, weight gain, increased risk of heart disease, vaginal dryness or thinning, bladder problems, and others that can be helped by your doctor.
Your question reminds me of the title of the old Billie Holiday song, "You've Changed." Menopause is not an illness, but it marks a time when a woman's body undergoes dramatic changes. In particular, a woman's ovaries slow down production of estrogen and other hormones to a mere trickle.

The drop in estrogen levels a woman experiences during menopause can have important implications for her health. Estrogen promotes strong bones, for instance, and seems to protect the heart too. After menopause, a woman's risk for both heart disease and osteoporosis (which makes bones fragile) rises sharply. Around the time of menopause, a woman's risk for certain cancers begins to rise too.

Those all sound like pretty good reasons to check in with your doctor on a routine basis to me. What's more, your doctor may be able to recommend treatments to help you cope with any symptoms of menopause that may be plaguing you, such as hot flashes or vaginal dryness.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Natural Ways to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Natural Ways to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Menopause, the time in a woman’s life when her menstrual cycle stops, typically starts after age 45. “The change,” as it’s commonly called, happens wh...
Why am I having trouble with my memory during menopause?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
You may be having trouble with your memory during menopause as a result of a decrease in serum estro...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
What Causes Hot Flashes?
What Causes Hot Flashes?