Is menopause affected by when I started my first period?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

Age of menopause is not related to age of starting periods. There is some correlation to family history, with the age of your mother at menopause being a stronger indicator than the age of your sister. Lifestyle can also influence age of menopause. Cigarette smokers have menopause an average of one year younger than nonsmokers.

Menopause for each woman is not based on when she first started menstruating. It isn't based on how many years of menstruation, but partly on maternal history—meaning, your mother's age at menopause. Talk with your mother and other close female relatives, and ask when they went through menopause. It may be helpful to talk about symptoms and any unusual issues that they may have had. These conversations may give you the most helpful insight on how menopause may affect you. Bear in mind that other factors, such as lifestyle and illnesses like HIV or autoimmune diseases, can also affect the timing of the onset of menopause.

Nope. The timing of natural menopause depends more on your family history, body mass index (BMI) and environmental factors such as smoking. Women with a high BMI go through menopause later and smokers go through it earlier.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause: To Sweat or Not to Sweat
Menopause: To Sweat or Not to Sweat
When you're suffering from hot flashes, the last thing you want to do is work up a sweat. But research shows that it could be just the ticket to saili...
How does menopause affect women’s risk of heart disease?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Heart disease is the number one cause of death for women over 50, and risk goes up with menopause. M...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
Can I Tell When a Hot Flash Will Be Coming?