Why do menopausal women need pelvic exams?

Kevin W. Windom, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
It is my belief that menopausal women do need pelvic exams due to the fact that vaginal cancer, uterine cancer, and ovarian cancers all have more prevalent risks in menopausal women.  The most common age of ovarian and uterine cancer is 65 years old, and these women are all in menopause; and because of this, it is deemed appropriate for these women to have regular pelvic exams. If a woman has had a hysterectomy and both of her ovaries removed, then she only needs a pelvic exam if she is having vaginal problems.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Alternative Treatments for Menopause
Alternative Treatments for Menopause
In 2002, the Women’s Health Initiative found that the risks of Premarin and Provera treatment for menopause outweighed the benefits. Since that time, ...
How accurate is a hormone saliva test at predicting menopause onset?
Julia Schlam EdelmanJulia Schlam Edelman
The accuracy of saliva tests that measure estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone is not establ...
What is perimenopausal rage?
Marcy Holmes, MSN, NPMarcy Holmes, MSN, NP
In this video, I discuss how perimenopausal rage is different from normal anger. Sometimes the horm...
How Does Menopause Affect My Risk of Heart Disease?