Does menopausal bleeding mean that I have cancer?

Endometrial cancer can cause menopausal bleeding. However, this symptom can also be caused by uterine polyps, endometrial hyperplasia, and thinning of the uterine lining. Endometrial hyperplasia refers to abnormal cells in the uterine lining. Polyps are generally not cancerous, while women with endometrial hyperplasia are at higher risk of developing endometrial cancer. Approximately 20 percent of older women with menopausal bleeding have uterine cancer.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause: To Sweat or Not to Sweat
Menopause: To Sweat or Not to Sweat
When you're suffering from hot flashes, the last thing you want to do is work up a sweat. But research shows that it could be just the ticket to saili...
How can I reverse weight gain after menopause?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Reversing weight gain after menopause requires a strict activity level of 30-minutes per day, five d...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
What Are Treatment Options for Menopause Symptoms?