I love my life after menopause, so why am I gaining weight?

The kids are out of the house, you have achieved job security paving the road to retirement, you love your mate, and maybe have grandchildren to boot. What can be better? You’re not queuing up at the all-you-can-eat buffet every night. You are not an emotional eater. So what gives about midlife weight gain? The transition into menopause brings physical changes, too, that can creep up slowly. Fat redistributes to the middle, blood glucose rises, and insulin is put to the test. Not to mention, you lose 5% of your muscle mass every 10 years that you do not build muscle, and you tend to become more sedentary as you age and your metabolism slows. So even if you have no emotional issues that trigger poor eating, you can still gain weight during menopause. To counteract it, get those 10,000 steps a day (no excuses!), keep eating right, and keep that stress in check.

Continue Learning about Menopause

6 Things You Need to Know About Hormone Therapy
If you’re going through menopause or perimenopause, you may be experiencing symptoms such as hot flashes, sleep problems, vaginal dryness, or changes ...
How accurate is a hormone saliva test at predicting menopause onset?
Julia Schlam EdelmanJulia Schlam Edelman
The accuracy of saliva tests that measure estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone is not establ...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
Can a Proper Diet Help in Dealing with Hot Flashes?