How can I make time for spirituality during menopause?

Staness Jonekos
Health Education
Most of us lead busy lives -- family, career, parenting, community activities, home repairs, and social obligations -- so how do you squeeze in a little spirituality? When you feel trapped in the center of a tornado of activity, spirituality may keep you grounded to your center of happiness. Many confuse spirituality with religion. Being spiritual simply means being connected with your true spirit without the many layers of life cloaking the real you.

During menopause, being connected with your spirit will give you a foundation to move through this transition positively embracing your experience. How do you keep connected to your spirit when daily activities leave no room for you?
  • Ask yourself, "Where and when do I find peace, happiness, and a sense of self?" Is it when you practice religion? Take a hike? Listen to music? Enjoy a favorite hobby? When you pray or meditate? When you exercise? Is it being connected with community, Mother Nature or art?
  • How can you incorporate that activity into your life daily? For me reading inspiration words or taking a hike allows me to tap into my true self, a time away from responsibility, a place away from expectations. I try to carve out at least 30 minutes a day for a walk or reading.
  • We live in a fast paced world. Computers, e-mail, cell phones, and overnight mail all make everything obtainable instantly. Staying connected with your sense of self, your spirituality, is not instant. It takes time, commitment and effort -- it takes practice.
  • Being connected to your spirit can only live in the present moment. You must practice being in the present for spirituality to exist. We all struggle with the past and have hopes and dreams for the future. Being torn between the past and future makes it difficult to live in the present. It is being in the present that you will be able to feel connect to your spirituality.
  • Why is your life is so busy? Is your hectic lifestyle a way of hiding from yourself, your problems, a troubled past, physical pain, the fear of a miserable future? Fear will keep you from being connected from your true spirit. You cannot use a busy lifestyle as an excuse to hide from yourself.

Continue Learning about Menopause

All About Perimenopause
All About Perimenopause
Between mood swings and weight fluctuations, perimenopause can make you feel like a teenager again—and not necessarily in a good way. Hormonal changes...
Why has menopause become medicalized?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
Menopause is the cessation of menstrual bleeding due to aging. The stage of life where symptoms may ...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
Try This Therapy to Improve Sex After Menopause