How does pregnancy affect the onset of postmenopause?

Julia Schlam Edelman
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
Each woman is born with a certain number of eggs and uses them up at her own rate. Women who have had two full-term pregnancies enter postmenopause later than those who do not. During full-term pregnancies, ovulation is suspended, so eggs are not used up as quickly. You also have a break from ovulation during the time you spend nursing your infant.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Does Menopause Make You Fat?
Does Menopause Make You Fat?
Everyone dreads the midlife spread, but is it inevitable—and is it due to menopause? "There's no strong data to show that weight gain is related to m...
What is positive about midlife when women have to deal with menopause?
Many times in midlife, women are productive in careers, and children are more settled. There may be ...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
Can I Tell When a Hot Flash Will Be Coming?