How long does menopause last?

Marina Johnson
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism

Women may have acute symptoms like hot flashes, night sweats or insomnia while other women may breeze through without any of these symptoms. It may occur abruptly as in a woman who’s had her ovaries surgically removed. In women who go through natural menopause, it can also occur abruptly but more commonly it occurs gradually over several months to years. Menopause is defined as the absence of a menstrual period for a year. If this occurs in young women, it’s important to check for reversible causes. Many women think that once hot flashes are gone, that they’re done with menopause. After the acute symptoms have resolved, with estrogen, many organ systems develop degeneration. Sexual dysfunction like vaginal dryness and painful sex commonly occur within six months of no estrogen. With longer duration of estrogen deficiency, serious diseases like heart disease, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and osteoporosis can develop. Women get the best protection from these diseases, if they start estrogen within 10 years of menopause.

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Menopause is the time in a woman's life when her periods (menstruation) eventually stop and the body goes through changes that no longer allow for pregnant. It is a natural event that normally occurs in women age 45 - 55. And for some women can be incredibly upsetting and emotionally traumatic. Not to mention the sometimes extreme side effects of menopause that can last years.

The first thing most women notice is that periods start to change. They become irregular and might occur more or less often. Irregular periods can last for 1 - 3 years before the periods completely stop.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause and Sex
Menopause and Sex
News flash. Remember the umpteen stories you've read about how women's sex drive goes into reverse once she enters her perimenopause years (typically,...
How can I manage insomnia that occurs during menopause?
Menopause can cause sleep disruptions. Many women have insomnia (difficulty falling asleep) or find ...
8 Changes That Come With Menopause
8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause
Are you having sleeping problems? Hot flashes? Mood swings? Here’s what you need to know.
How Does Menopause Affect My Risk of Heart Disease?