How do I correct hormonal deficiencies with nutritional supplements?

Alan Gaby

In the absence of severe nutritional deficiencies, hormonal deficiencies should be treated with the hormones themselves, not with nutritional supplements. For example, although iodine deficiency can cause hypothyroidism, hypothyroidism may actually become worse if a person who is not iodine-deficient is given additional iodine. In addition, although severe zinc deficiency can lead to hypothyroidism, in Western societies zinc deficiency is rarely severe enough to influence hormonal status. The therapeutic use of thyroid hormone, DHEA, progesterone, cortisol, and other hormones is discussed in my textbook, Nutritional Medicine (www.doctorgaby.com).

Natasha Turner, ND
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

You can add supplements for specific hormonal imbalances, depending on where you carry fat on your body: belly, butt or back. Watch naturopathic doctor Natasha Turner, ND, discusses supplement options that are most appropriate for each body type.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Alternative Treatments for Menopause
Alternative Treatments for Menopause
In 2002, the Women’s Health Initiative found that the risks of Premarin and Provera treatment for menopause outweighed the benefits. Since that time, ...
How are antidepressants used to treat hot flashes?
Dr. Julia Schlam EdelmanDr. Julia Schlam Edelman
Low doses of certain antidepressants such as Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, or Lexapro can be used to decre...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
How Does Menopause Affect My Risk of Heart Disease?