How do I correct hormonal deficiencies with nutritional supplements?

Natasha Turner, ND
Alternative & Complementary Medicine

You can add supplements for specific hormonal imbalances, depending on where you carry fat on your body: belly, butt or back. Watch naturopathic doctor Natasha Turner, ND, discusses supplement options that are most appropriate for each body type.

Alan Gaby

In the absence of severe nutritional deficiencies, hormonal deficiencies should be treated with the hormones themselves, not with nutritional supplements. For example, although iodine deficiency can cause hypothyroidism, hypothyroidism may actually become worse if a person who is not iodine-deficient is given additional iodine. In addition, although severe zinc deficiency can lead to hypothyroidism, in Western societies zinc deficiency is rarely severe enough to influence hormonal status. The therapeutic use of thyroid hormone, DHEA, progesterone, cortisol, and other hormones is discussed in my textbook, Nutritional Medicine (www.doctorgaby.com).

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause and Sex
Menopause and Sex
News flash. Remember the umpteen stories you've read about how women's sex drive goes into reverse once she enters her perimenopause years (typically,...
What should I know before I begin hormone therapy for menopause?
Before you begin hormone therapy for menopause you should know that hormones may not be needed. Ther...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
3 Ways to Avoid Weight Gain During Menopause