Are there any home remedies for relief from hot flashes?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There are a number of home remedies that can help bring you relief from hot flashes. Try dressing in layers (of cotton, not synthetics or wool), so you can quickly take a layer off when you get a hot flash. You can also try deep, slow breathing when you get a hot flash. Relaxation techniques you learn through yoga, meditation, or tai chi can help.

Try to figure out what brings on your hot flashes, whether it’s certain drinks (coffee or tea, for example), the weather (such as when it’s hot outside), stress, or certain foods. Keep ice water handy and a fan nearby. Make sure the temperature in your house or office is cool enough.

For hot flashes and other menopausal symptoms, some women find relief by going to an acupuncturist, getting enough exercise, drinking plenty of water, not smoking, and avoiding certain types of foods and drinks (such as spicy foods, alcohol, and caffeine). Soy products are good to incorporate into your meals, because they might help prevent or decrease hot flashes and other menopause symptoms.

At night, use cotton sheets on your bed, not silk or a synthetic blend. Also wear cotton pajamas when you sleep, which can make night sweats (hot flashes at night) more tolerable.

Continue Learning about Menopause

When Should I See a Doctor for Menopause Symptoms?
Does Black Cohosh Help Reduce Hot Flashes?
Can I Tell When a Hot Flash Will Be Coming?
What Is the Average Onset Age of Perimenopause?