Why do I have to go to the bathroom several times at night after menopause?

Remember the time when you could hold your urine like a camel? Those were the days when you could sleep through the whole night. You may think you’re racking up frequent pee-er miles because you are making more urine, but in fact nighttime awakenings can happen even when you have little urine in the bladder. Aging reduces bladder capacity, the pelvic floor muscles are weaker (due to childbirth or weight gain), and the wall of the bladder is thinner and less responsive, because you said ta-ta to estrogen. These factors make everything more sensitive, meaning your brain gets messages telling you to get up to empty it more frequently, no matter what time it is.

Nocturia is a bladder control problem that can occur after menopause. This condition causes you to have to get up from bed frequently during the night to go to the bathroom. You should always talk to your doctor when there are changes in normal body function such as this.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause

Menopause

If you are a woman in your 40s and 50s, you might notice that your periods start to change as menopause approaches. During menopause, the menstrual cycle becomes less predictable, and many women start to experience uncomfortable s...

ymptoms like hot flashes, vaginal dryness, and/or changes in mood.