Why do I have to go to the bathroom several times at night after menopause?

Nocturia is a bladder control problem that can occur after menopause. This condition causes you to have to get up from bed frequently during the night to go to the bathroom. You should always talk to your doctor when there are changes in normal body function such as this.

Remember the time when you could hold your urine like a camel? Those were the days when you could sleep through the whole night. You may think you’re racking up frequent pee-er miles because you are making more urine, but in fact nighttime awakenings can happen even when you have little urine in the bladder. Aging reduces bladder capacity, the pelvic floor muscles are weaker (due to childbirth or weight gain), and the wall of the bladder is thinner and less responsive, because you said ta-ta to estrogen. These factors make everything more sensitive, meaning your brain gets messages telling you to get up to empty it more frequently, no matter what time it is.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Hot Flashes, Night Sweats, and More
Hot Flashes, Night Sweats, and More
Feel like the only thing that fluctuates more than your hormones is the consensus on hormone therapy? The truth is, hormone therapy—used to manage men...
How effective is hormone therapy for menopause?
Hormone (estrogen) therapy for menopause is especially effective at decreasing hot flashes and vagin...
8 Changes That Come With Menopause
8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause
Are you having sleeping problems? Hot flashes? Mood swings? Here’s what you need to know.
When Should I See a Doctor for Menopause Symptoms?