How can foods help me to sleep better during menopause?

To help with sleeplessness during menopause, limit caffeine and alcohol at night. There may also be hot flash triggers such as spicy foods that you may want to avoid before bedtime. Also, a light snack of cereal with skim milk may help you fall sleep more quickly. If you aren't hungry, a cool glass of milk may help you ease into sleep.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

What you eat has a dramatic effect on your body during menopause—including your sleep. A few tweaks to your diet may eliminate the need for sleep aids or menopause hormone replacement therapy (MHT) and could be the last piece in your healthy sleep puzzle.

For example, a Mayo Clinic study found that flaxseed might help treat hot flashes. Try adding 4 tablespoons of crushed flaxseed a day to your cereal, juice or yogurt. Flaxseed also contains heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. It's important to note that studies vary in effectiveness of dietary phytoestrogens for vasomotor symptoms.

Another little-known cause of insomnia is anemia, or iron deficiency. Many people with restless legs syndrome suffer from insomnia, and iron deficiency has been associated with this syndrome. If you suspect you may be anemic, eat more dark, leafy green vegetables, like spinach and collard greens. These foods are also rich in chlorophyll, which is thought to improve sleep. Other iron-rich foods include red meat, egg yolks, dried fruit, beans, liver and artichokes.

Continue Learning about Menopause

3 Tips to Ease Menopause Symptoms
3 Tips to Ease Menopause Symptoms
Even with the recent news that hormone replacement therapy is once again okay for treating menopause symptoms, there’s plenty else you can do to manag...
What drugs or foods may interact with hormone therapy for menopause?
Tell your doctor about any medications or supplements you're taking. The hormones estrogen and proge...
Does my family history determine when I'll start menopause?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
While your mother's age at natural menopause is commonly cited as predicting your age at menopause, ...
What Are Treatment Options for Menopause Symptoms?