Does my family history determine when I'll start menopause?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

While your mother's age at natural menopause is commonly cited as predicting your age at menopause, the studies vary in supporting this. Many studies fail to find a link. One study of mothers and daughters supported similar ages of natural menopause for both generations and another study of identical twins also supported a genetic influence in age of natural menopause. Of course, if your mother had a surgical menopause, a hysterectomy, you can't use her age to help you predict your menopause.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Hot Flashes, Night Sweats, and More
Hot Flashes, Night Sweats, and More
Feel like the only thing that fluctuates more than your hormones is the consensus on hormone therapy? The truth is, hormone therapy—used to manage men...
As a menopausal woman, what can I do about my increased anxiety?
As a menopausal woman it is important that you identify the symptoms of increased anxiety that you'r...
8 Changes That Come With Menopause
8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause8 Changes That Come With Menopause
Are you having sleeping problems? Hot flashes? Mood swings? Here’s what you need to know.
Cut Back on Caffeine to Cool Off Night Sweats