Does my family history determine when I'll start menopause?

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

While your mother's age at natural menopause is commonly cited as predicting your age at menopause, the studies vary in supporting this. Many studies fail to find a link. One study of mothers and daughters supported similar ages of natural menopause for both generations and another study of identical twins also supported a genetic influence in age of natural menopause. Of course, if your mother had a surgical menopause, a hysterectomy, you can't use her age to help you predict your menopause.

Continue Learning about Menopause

6 Things You Need to Know About Hormone Therapy
If you’re going through menopause or perimenopause, you may be experiencing symptoms such as hot flashes, sleep problems, vaginal dryness, or changes ...
How effective are bazedoxifene and conjugated estrogens?
In one study, women who had 7 or more moderate or severe hot flashes a day had about 6 fewer hot fla...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
How Can Women Minimize Hot Flashes During Menopause?