What effect does perimenopause have on fertility?

In the perimenopause period, just because menstruation is irregular does not mean the woman is infertile. A woman can still be fertile and can still get pregnant during perimenopause, the time period when a woman's menstrual cycle becomes irregular. In fact, many unplanned pregnancies occur in this age group of women. Menopause is not official until a woman has gone 12 months without a period. 

During perimenopause, a woman becomes less fertile. Ovulation and menstrual periods becomes irregular and gradually stop. Pregnancy is still possible during perimenopause, however. To avoid an unwanted pregnancy, continue to use birth control until you reach menopause and have not had a period for a full year.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause and Sex
Menopause and Sex
News flash. Remember the umpteen stories you've read about how women's sex drive goes into reverse once she enters her perimenopause years (typically,...
How can I change my diet and exercise routine to prevent hot flashes?
Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhDDr. Rovenia Brock, PhD
Mayan women in Yucatan, Mexico, don't report any hot flashes—the external sign of internal drops in ...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
What Are the Signs of Menopause?
What Are the Signs of Menopause?