How do doctors determine the cause of menopausal bleeding?

If you have menopausal bleeding, you should see your doctor in order to determine the cause. First, the doctor will likely ask about your symptoms and medical history. The doctor will then perform a complete physical exam. Transvaginal ultrasound is an imaging technique involving the use of sound waves to visualize your uterus and ovaries. Transvaginal means that the doctor will place the probe in your vagina. You may also need an endometrial biopsy, which takes a sample of the cells lining the uterus. A pathologist can then examine the cells using a microscope in order to determine whether you have cancer.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Hormone Therapy Reconsidered—Again
Hormone Therapy Reconsidered—Again
In one episode of That 70’s Show, the mom, Kitty, is going through menopause. So, Dad and his son Eric decide to look up menopause in the encyclopedia...
How can lack of sleep affect menopausal women?
Dr. Michael Breus, PhDDr. Michael Breus, PhD
Lack of sleep during and after menopause can be disruptive to a woman’s overall physical health ...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
When Should I See a Doctor for Menopause Symptoms?