Can I tell when a hot flash will be coming?

Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz, MD
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)

Unfortunately, there is no real way to predict when a hot flash is coming - unless you have a sense of what your personal triggers are. In this video, OB/GYN specialist Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz, MD, discusses some common triggers to pay attention to.

Some people say they know when a hot flash is coming because they experience an aura, or a feeling of premonition, just before the hot flash begins. This gives them a short amount of time to prepare for the discomfort they are about to experience.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Does Menopause Make You Fat?
Does Menopause Make You Fat?
Everyone dreads the midlife spread, but is it inevitable—and is it due to menopause? "There's no strong data to show that weight gain is related to m...
Does my family history determine when I'll start menopause?
Patricia Geraghty, NPPatricia Geraghty, NP
While your mother's age at natural menopause is commonly cited as predicting your age at menopause, ...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
When Should I See a Doctor for Menopause Symptoms?