Can perimenopause cause other health problems?

Some of the changes caused by perimenopause can cause other health problems. The loss of estrogen often leads to vaginal dryness, which can cause discomfort and even tissue tears during intercourse. The tears can become infected. Vaginal dryness can also make you more likely to get a yeast infection. Low estrogen levels also thin the lining of the urethra (the tube that carries urine out of the body) and makes it shorter. This can lead to urinary tract infections. The muscles that control the urethra often become weaker, leading to stress incontinence, which is a condition in which you release of a small amount of urine when you cough, sneeze, laugh, or do things that put pressure on the bladder.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause and Sex
Menopause and Sex
News flash. Remember the umpteen stories you've read about how women's sex drive goes into reverse once she enters her perimenopause years (typically,...
How can I change my diet and exercise routine to prevent hot flashes?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Some women find that limiting or totally avoiding spicy foods, hot drinks, soups, alcohol, sugary sn...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
What Are the Signs of Menopause?
What Are the Signs of Menopause?