Can I get pregnant while in perimenopause?

Yes, you can get pregnant until you've gone 12 months in a row without a period. Talk to your doctor about your birth control options. Keep in mind that birth control pills, shots, implants or diaphragms will not protect you from STIs or HIV. If you use one of these methods, be sure also to use a latex condom or dental dam (used for oral sex) correctly every time you have sexual contact. Be aware that condoms don't provide complete protection against STIs and HIV—the only sure protection is abstinence (not having sex of any kind). But making sure to always use—and correctly use—latex condoms and other barrier methods can help protect you from STIs.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Women are still at risk for pregnancy during perimenopause. Low-dose birth control pills or a progesterone intrauterine device are good choices for contraception during perimenopause, as they also help regulate bleeding. If contraception is unnecessary, bioidentical progesterone can be used to regulate periods while soy and black cohash can help alleviate hot flashes.

Patricia Geraghty, NP
Women's Health

The end of fertility, the ability to become pregnant, is very difficult to determine. Although unlikely, it is possible to get pregnant up until menopause is fully established. This means up until you have had 12 months without a period. At the same time, fertility is decreased starting at age 35 years and significantly decreased in the 40s. Consult your healthcare provider for individual information to meet your needs.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Alternative Treatments for Menopause
Alternative Treatments for Menopause
In 2002, the Women’s Health Initiative found that the risks of Premarin and Provera treatment for menopause outweighed the benefits. Since that time, ...
As a menopausal woman, what can I do about my increased anxiety?
As a menopausal woman it is important that you identify the symptoms of increased anxiety that you'r...
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause5 Ways to Lose Weight During Menopause
Even though your body is changing, there are proven ways to drop those unwanted pounds.
What Causes Insomnia During Menopause?
What Causes Insomnia During Menopause?