Can follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) levels predict postmenopause onset?

Julia Schlam Edelman
OBGYN (Obstetrics & Gynecology)
If you are in perimenopause, your levels of follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) are still fluctuating widely. So a single blood test result showing elevated FSH could represent just one part of a given menstrual cycle.

I will tell you what I tell my perimenopausal patients: you can have your blood drawn one day and get an FSH result that looks like a 20-year-old's (a low number), yet on another day that same week you could get a result that looks like a 60-year-old's (a high number). These erratic results may reflect your perimenopausal status, but do not predict whether postmenopause is imminent. In postmenopause, FSH is consistently elevated, but this rise does not begin until one year after your final menstrual period.

Continue Learning about Menopause

Menopause: To Sweat or Not to Sweat
Menopause: To Sweat or Not to Sweat
When you're suffering from hot flashes, the last thing you want to do is work up a sweat. But research shows that it could be just the ticket to saili...
What causes mood swings or irritability during menopause?
There are as many theories about why mood changes during menopause as benches in Central Park. Frequ...
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause8 Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
Can Exercise Improve Hot Flashes?
Can Exercise Improve Hot Flashes?