If my breasts are getting smaller, is that a sign of menopause?

Menopause often causes breasts to soften, thin out and sag. This is because loss of estrogen decreases the glandular and supportive components of the breasts, leaving mostly fat behind. If both breasts are decreasing in size, it may be due to weight loss. If one breast is smaller, this may be due to a mass that is pulling the breast tissue inward. If one breast appears to have shrunken, see your provider.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Women often experience a lack of breast fullness because of changing hormone levels due to menopause. Sometimes it isn't as noticeable as smaller breasts, but simply as a loss of fullness. Talk to your doctor about any significant bodily changes, so together you can monitor changes.

Continue Learning about Menopause

6 Things You Need to Know About Hormone Therapy
If you’re going through menopause or perimenopause, you may be experiencing symptoms such as hot flashes, sleep problems, vaginal dryness, or changes ...
Should I take menopause hormone therapy during menopause?
The decision to take menopause hormone therapy (MHT), or hormone replacement therapy, during menopau...
What foods should I eat during menopause?
Many women have diets low in iron. By eating foods such as lean beef, eggs, fish, and leafy green ve...
When Should I See a Doctor for Menopause Symptoms?