Do I need dietary supplements after menopause even if I eat healthy?

It is believed that good nutrition may help prevent some ailments that are more common after menopause. Osteoporosis, which is a thinning and weakening of the bones, is a disease that is most closely related to the lack of estrogen that defines menopause. Adequate intake of Calcium and Vitamin D are believed to prevent or delay the onset of osteoporosis after menopause. Many of our diets are very low in calcium as we age as consumption of calcium rich foods such as dairy products is less common. Most nutritionists or physicians recommend intake of at least 1500 mg of calcium and 400 IU of vitamin D for menopausal women.  If you think your diet may be low in calcium you should consider a supplement after discussion with your physician.

Talk to your doctor about dietary supplements. With diminished estrogen, women may need to add calcium and vitamin D supplements after menopause. Be sure to keep a food journal so that you can discuss your daily nutritional intake. Your doctor or a dietician can make recommendations to increase the nutritional value of your diet.

Continue Learning about Menopause Therapies

Is it safe to take hormone replacement therapy (HRT) during menopause?
Dr. Lauren F. Streicher, MDDr. Lauren F. Streicher, MD
I’ll give you the headline first: Estrogen and progestogen therapy started soon after menopause not ...
What age is too old to start hormone therapy?
Doctors and researchers do not have a set age for which you would be too old to start hormone therap...
Does Black Cohosh Help Reduce Hot Flashes?
What Can I Do to Relieve Hot Flashes?
What Can I Do to Relieve Hot Flashes?