How is a woman's menopause different from a man's?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

When women go through menopause, over a period or four to seven years or more, the ovaries stop making the hormones estrogen and testosterone. That's why sometimes women gain a little weight when they go through menopause. If you don't have testosterone, you can't make muscle mass.

Meanwhile, the same reduction of hormone production happens in men, just not in such a dramatically short amount of time. You can't tell that it's happening sometimes, but that exact same shift is occurring.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Menopause Symptoms

One Veggie That May Ease Menopause Symptoms
In Sex and the City 2, Samantha announces she’s “leading the way through the menopause maze with my vitamins, my bioidentical estrogen cream, progeste...
What are the problems associated with menopause?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
A variety of problems can crop up due to the onset or arrival of menopause, the official end of your...
Are irregular periods the beginning of menopause?
Dr. Afua Mintah, MDDr. Afua Mintah, MD
New irregular periods in women over the age of 40 could be the beginning of the transition into meno...
Is It Normal to Lose Genital Hair During Menopause?