How is a woman's menopause different from a man's?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

When women go through menopause, over a period or four to seven years or more, the ovaries stop making the hormones estrogen and testosterone. That's why sometimes women gain a little weight when they go through menopause. If you don't have testosterone, you can't make muscle mass.

Meanwhile, the same reduction of hormone production happens in men, just not in such a dramatically short amount of time. You can't tell that it's happening sometimes, but that exact same shift is occurring.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Menopause Symptoms

One Veggie That May Ease Menopause Symptoms
In Sex and the City 2, Samantha announces she’s “leading the way through the menopause maze with my vitamins, my bioidentical estrogen cream, progeste...
What should I include in my diet to help treat symptoms of menopause?
Symptoms of menopause may be alleviated with a diet low in fat and high in soy. Soy products contain...
What happens to a woman's body during menopause?
Chippenham Hospital - HCA VirginiaChippenham Hospital - HCA Virginia
A woman's body during menopause goes through many changes, including the ovaries failure to function...
What Determines When I Will Start Menopause?