What are the problems associated with menopause?

A variety of problems can crop up due to the onset or arrival of menopause, the official end of your fertility. Some of these include hot flashes, night sweats, headaches, vaginal dryness and damage, urinary tract infections, forgetfulness, and difficulty concentrating.

Menopause can also create emotional problems such as mood swings and depression and alter your sex life. During menopause, many women lose interest in sex and find sexual intercourse uncomfortable or painful because of vaginal dryness.

Estrogen (female hormone) replacement therapy and certain dietary changes can help manage the problems associated with menopause. Talk to your doctor about ways to manage menopause problems. 

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

If a woman experiences problems during menopause -- and not everyone will -- they are mostly caused by the decline in estrogen. Estrogen impacts nearly every system and body part, including the skin, heart, blood vessels, brain, bones, and reproductive organs, just to name a few. Anywhere that estrogen exerts its effect in the body can be affected by menopause.

It’s important to know you’re not alone. So many women experience hot flashes, night sweats, sleep problems, and vaginal dryness and tissue thinning, which can make sexual intercourse painful. If a woman goes through menopause early, she will be living without estrogen for a longer period of time, which can pose big problems, including an increased risk for low bone density, osteoporosis, fractures and heart disease.

Continue Learning about Menopause Symptoms

One Veggie That May Ease Menopause Symptoms
In Sex and the City 2, Samantha announces she’s “leading the way through the menopause maze with my vitamins, my bioidentical estrogen cream, progeste...
What are the symptoms of menopause?
Dr. Afua Mintah, MDDr. Afua Mintah, MD
Symptoms of menopause might include changes to menstrual cycle. Heavy bleeding may become lighter or...
What changes can I expect during menopause?
Staness JonekosStaness Jonekos
Menopause is a life transition that can affect you physically and emotionally. Your body is expe...
What Are the Signs of Midlife Puberty or Menopause?