How do medications treat Meniere's disease?

Medicines cannot cure Meniere's disease, but they may relieve the symptoms. Diuretics may be used to lower the amount of fluid in your ears. Allergy medicine may also help, if allergies are a trigger for the disease.

Valium and other motion sickness treatments may ease vertigo, dizziness, and nausea, and anti-nausea drugs may also be useful. Injections of steroids or the antibiotic gentamicin into your middle ear may also relieve vertigo, although hearing loss can be a side effect.

Continue Learning about Meniere's Treatment

Should I talk to my doctor about my Meniere's disease symptoms?
The symptoms of Meniere's disease (such as vertigo, deafness, or noise in the ears) can mimic those ...
How can surgery treat Meniere's disease?
Surgery cannot cure Meniere's disease. However, if the vertigo and dizziness that accompanies the di...
Is there a cure for Meniere's disease?
Meniere's disease cannot be cured at this time. However, sometimes it does go away on its own. Treat...
Are there alternative treatments for Meniere's disease?
Alternative therapies such as hypnosis and acupuncture are not widely recommended for Meniere's dise...