When does memory loss really begin?

We actually experience a mental decline a lot earlier than we realize. Memory loss starts at age 16 and is relatively common by 40. One way you can see this is through research done on video game players. People start losing their hand-eye coordination and the ability to perform exceptionally well on video games after the age of 25. The fascinating part of this research isn't that you'll rarely beat your kid in Mario Kart: Double Dash; it's that even if your brain knows what to do when presented with an animated hairpin turn at 135 mph, your brain can't fire those messages fast enough to your trigger-happy thumbs. There's a natural slowing of the connection - the power line - between your brain and your body.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

Could a Supplement Help Keep Your Mind Sharp?
By the year 2060, an estimated 14 million older adults in the United States will be living with dementia, which affects not only memory, but also deci...
How can I remember my PIN if I have memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
If you have memory difficulties, use a fictitious phone number to remember your Personal Identif...
Can a cognitive reserve be built up to resist memory loss?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
You may be able to build up a cognitive reserve to delay the onset of dementia. Studies have shown t...
What Causes Memory Loss?
What Causes Memory Loss?