At what age does memory loss start?

Many of us may think that memory loss comes at about the same time as our AARP membership cards, but the decline actually starts much earlier-in your mid 20s. It's not uncommon to see effects in your 30s and many more in your 40s.

What happens is that the speed in which you process information slows down naturally as you age (it's been proven to happen in mice, rats, and primates, as well). Specifically, that comes out in an inability to store information in our short-term memory (say, not remembering a word that you recently heard).

One theory for why this occurs is that a toxin eats away at that sheet of healthy fat that protects neurons; some believe that cholesterol is what creates these toxins. But other factors-including stress, thyroid disorders, diabetes, anxiety, depression, and trauma-could all play a role in starting and accelerating memory loss. Fortunately, you can take steps to slow the process.

YOU: The Owner's Manual, Updated and Expanded Edition: An Insider's Guide to the Body that Will Make You Healthier and Younger 

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

How to Reduce Your Risk of Mild Cognitive Impairment
Have you noticed that you’re forgetting where you put your keys or shoes, losing your train of thought in a conversation, or having trouble rememberin...
How can I help someone who gets easily confused while traveling?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
If a person is easily confused, create a detailed travel itinerary and information list to consu...
How can I remember my errands if I have memory problems?
Limit errands to one or two at a time if remembering a sequence of four or five errands is too f...
Best Friends Boost Your Health
Best Friends Boost Your Health