What should I do if I tend to lose things?

• If you lose something, breathe slowly and avoid panicking. If your brain is overtaxed and stressed, it will have difficulty remembering anything, so take a deep breath and count to 10. As you calm down, you should notice your thinking getting clearer.
  • If you forget what you're doing or lose something, stop and walk backward in your mind. Tell yourself to relax, close your eyes and retrace your steps mentally until you remember. If that doesn't work, physically retrace your route and go to where you last remember seeing the item you're looking for.
  • Put your car keys with items you might forget. If you tend to leave coats, umbrellas or even groceries at a friend's house, put your car keys with the item you're likely to forget, such as in your coat pocket, on your umbrella handle or in your grocery bag. You can't go very far without remembering.
  • Keep a small container filled with essentials (a little money, a pair of earrings, a spare tie) in your car's glove compartment.
  • Mark possessions you tend to lose. Put your name and telephone number or address on umbrellas, books and other items you tend to leave behind. This will enable others to return them. Note: It's not a wise idea to put your address on your keys.
Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Written by memory and aging expert Shelley Peterman Schwarz, Memory Tips for Making Life Easier delivers just what its title promises. Written for health care professionals, family caregivers, and...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

Prevent Dementia at Any Age
Prevent Dementia at Any Age
Forgot something? You’re not alone. One in eight baby boomers has memory lapses, at least once in a while, a recent survey says. And whether you’ve fo...
How can I use a computer to help me remember things?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Here are some tips on how to use a computer to help you remember things: Use your home computer ...
When does memory loss really begin?
We actually experience a mental decline a lot earlier than we realize. Memory loss starts at age...
What Causes Memory Loss?
What Causes Memory Loss?