How can I remember my errands if I have memory problems?

Limit errands to one or two at a time if remembering a sequence of four or five errands is too frustrating or tiring. After one or two errands, go home and get organized for the next set of errands. Go out again when you feel rested.

Think over the route for the stops on your errand trips and write it down if you are prone to forgetting the sequence. Before you leave home, consider: Is this a good time of day to be going to the library or post office? Will the drive-up windows at the bank be open? Will there be lines? Rearrange the sequence of stops to make it most convenient for you.

To remember all your errands while you're out, write the list on a sticky note, put it on the dashboard and check off the errands as you do them. If this is still too far out of sight and thus out of mind, put your list near the speedometer so when you check your speed you're reminded of what you have to do.
Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Written by memory and aging expert Shelley Peterman Schwarz, Memory Tips for Making Life Easier delivers just what its title promises. Written for health care professionals, family caregivers, and...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

Could a Supplement Help Keep Your Mind Sharp?
By the year 2060, an estimated 14 million older adults in the United States will be living with dementia, which affects not only memory, but also deci...
How can I balance my checkbook if I have memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Avoid omissions in your checkbook register by using duplicate checks. If you forget to write in ...
How can acetylcholinesterase inhibitors be used to treat dementia?
Sarah N. Mourra, MDSarah N. Mourra, MD
Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors are used in dementia to slow the inevitable decline that occurs when...
What Causes Memory Loss?
What Causes Memory Loss?