How should I organize my kitchen if I have memory problems?

The following suggestions will help you organize your kitchen if you have memory problems:
  • Label the contents of each cabinet and drawer, including file cabinets, linen cabinets and dresser drawers. Label shelves, dividers, boxes and containers so everyone knows what goes where. This is especially helpful when company comes or you're sick and someone is helping you. If everything is labeled, they don't have to keep asking you where things go.
  • Use pictures on kitchen drawers and cabinet doors to help someone find things like silverware, plates, napkins and cups. A picture of a box of breakfast cereal, for example, could go where cereals are kept.
  • Drawer organizers in contrasting colors will help you remember where specific items are stored. For example: All red-topped containers go under the sink and all blue-topped containers go back to the workbench. Organizers can be found at discount, kitchen or grocery stores.
  • Keep a small flashlight handy for those times you can't remember what's "back there" in deep cupboards and cabinets.
  • Use transparent plastic containers to see what's inside. Write the contents of the container on an index card and place it where you can see it when you open the drawer or door. Even if your memory is good, this will help you locate items quickly.
Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Written by memory and aging expert Shelley Peterman Schwarz, Memory Tips for Making Life Easier delivers just what its title promises. Written for health care professionals, family caregivers, and...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

Could a Supplement Help Keep Your Mind Sharp?
By the year 2060, an estimated 14 million older adults in the United States will be living with dementia, which affects not only memory, but also deci...
How do I perform deep breathing to improve my memory?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Several times a day, practice deep breathing exercises to improve your memory. Here's how: Relax...
How can I garden if I have memory problems?
Use a bracelet to remind yourself to turn off the hose. When watering the yard or garden, take an ...
What Causes Memory Loss?
What Causes Memory Loss?