How can I improve my ability to do laundry if I have memory difficulties?

Post laundry care instructions near your washer and dryer. Tack an index card to a bulletin board or inside cabinet doors indicating how much and what kind of cleaning products to use, water levels and temperature settings. The note can also remind you of other special care instructions such as to keep Velcro fasteners closed so they don't collect lint or snag garments.

Keep a list of stain removal tips, techniques and products in your laundry room to remind you how to treat specific problems.

Tie a knot in clothing to remind you of a stain or repair that needs attention. After taking off a stained garment or one that needs repair, tie a knot in a sleeve or leg to remind you to pretreat or repair it before washing. Of course, if you take the time to pretreat a stain immediately, you won't have to remember.
Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Written by memory and aging expert Shelley Peterman Schwarz, Memory Tips for Making Life Easier delivers just what its title promises. Written for health care professionals, family caregivers, and...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

As You Age, Be Confident in Your Memory
As You Age, Be Confident in Your Memory
Ever forget why you went into a room or step out of the shower with shampoo/conditioner still in your hair? Whether you call it a brain fart or a seni...
What are some travel tips for people with memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Take care of yourself. Keep your memory in good working order while you are traveling by eating ...
How can I do grocery shopping if I have memory problems?
Obtain a map of your grocery store and write your grocery list by aisle. An organized list will ...
Walk to Improve Cholesterol and Prevent Alzheimer's Disease