How can I keep track of my doctors and medications?

Keep important medical and contact information on an index card. During medical emergencies it can be difficult to remember your name, not to mention your medications, doctors and emergency contact information. A simple way to keep important medical information handy is to use an index card. On one side of the card put the names and telephone numbers of your doctors, therapists, counselors, hospitals and clinics. You may also want to include the name of your clergyperson, family members or close friends. On the other side of the card, write the names of the medications you are taking, the dosage, time of day you take the drug, what the drug is for and how long you have been taking it. Don't forget to include any allergies you have to medications, preservatives and so forth. Keep the index card updated and near your driver's license in your wallet or purse so it's handy when you need it.
Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Written by memory and aging expert Shelley Peterman Schwarz, Memory Tips for Making Life Easier delivers just what its title promises. Written for health care professionals, family caregivers, and...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

Prevent Dementia at Any Age
Prevent Dementia at Any Age
Forgot something? You’re not alone. One in eight baby boomers has memory lapses, at least once in a while, a recent survey says. And whether you’ve fo...
How can I remember people and conversations if I have memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Keep a diary so you can recall what you did, who you talked with and so forth. Log telephone call...
When does memory loss really begin?
We actually experience a mental decline a lot earlier than we realize. Memory loss starts at age...
Is There a Brain Exercise I Can Do That Will Improve My Memory?