How can I help someone who gets easily confused while traveling?

If a person is easily confused, create a detailed travel itinerary and information list to consult when traveling. Include the date, flight (train, bus) information, transfer or connection information, home address, family and emergency contact information and who will be meeting the person at the end of the ride. Preparing this information will prevent unnecessary anxiety on the part of the traveler and ease the minds of family members on either end.

Inquire about a special pass to accompany a passenger to the gate. For someone who may become easily confused or forgetful, making it difficult to locate the right gate without assistance, explain to the ticket agent at the time of check-in that you would like to accompany the passenger to the proper gate and why. It's common practice for ticket agents to issue a special pass that will allow someone to guide a ticketed passenger through security and get them safely on the plane. You'll need a picture ID and must go through security just like passengers with tickets.
Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Memory Tips Making Life Easier

Written by memory and aging expert Shelley Peterman Schwarz, Memory Tips for Making Life Easier delivers just what its title promises. Written for health care professionals, family caregivers, and...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

Prevent Dementia at Any Age
Prevent Dementia at Any Age
Forgot something? You’re not alone. One in eight baby boomers has memory lapses, at least once in a while, a recent survey says. And whether you’ve fo...
How can I do grocery shopping if I have memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Obtain a map of your grocery store and write your grocery list by aisle. An organized list will ...
How can routines help someone with memory problems remember things?
Creating good habits allows your memory to work on only the important things. You can develop a ...
Is There a Brain Exercise I Can Do That Will Improve My Memory?