How can I deal with benign forgetfulness?

Eric Pfeiffer
Psychiatry
With a little extra concentration, benign forgetfulness can usually be overcome. You may need to write down new information; you may need to make associations between familiar names or words with an unfamiliar word or name you are trying to learn in order to better remember it. You may have to have someone show you more than once how your new iPhone or DVD player works. But you can still learn. You can still remember; you may just have to work at it a little harder. You may need to write yourself more notes, jot down the aisle number where you parked your car or always place your house keys, your purse or your wallet in exactly the same spot every time you come into the house. The good news about benign forgetfulness is that it doesn’t get any worse, and it does not lead to Alzheimer’s disease. The bad news is that it doesn’t get any better, either. You need to understand it, accept it and adjust to it in ways like those mentioned above.
The Art of Caregiving in Alzheimer's Disease

This is an A to Z Guide to the caregiving experience in Alzheimer's disease. It is easy to read, easy to follow. It is authorative, based on thirty years of experieReconce in caring for Alzheimer's...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

How to Reduce Your Risk of Mild Cognitive Impairment
Have you noticed that you’re forgetting where you put your keys or shoes, losing your train of thought in a conversation, or having trouble rememberin...
How can I garden if I have memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Use a bracelet to remind yourself to turn off the hose. When watering the yard or garden, take an ...
How can I do grocery shopping if I have memory problems?
Obtain a map of your grocery store and write your grocery list by aisle. An organized list will ...
Best Friends Boost Your Health
Best Friends Boost Your Health