How can I deal with benign forgetfulness?

Eric Pfeiffer
Psychiatry
With a little extra concentration, benign forgetfulness can usually be overcome. You may need to write down new information; you may need to make associations between familiar names or words with an unfamiliar word or name you are trying to learn in order to better remember it. You may have to have someone show you more than once how your new iPhone or DVD player works. But you can still learn. You can still remember; you may just have to work at it a little harder. You may need to write yourself more notes, jot down the aisle number where you parked your car or always place your house keys, your purse or your wallet in exactly the same spot every time you come into the house. The good news about benign forgetfulness is that it doesn’t get any worse, and it does not lead to Alzheimer’s disease. The bad news is that it doesn’t get any better, either. You need to understand it, accept it and adjust to it in ways like those mentioned above.
The Art of Caregiving in Alzheimer's Disease

This is an A to Z Guide to the caregiving experience in Alzheimer's disease. It is easy to read, easy to follow. It is authorative, based on thirty years of experieReconce in caring for Alzheimer's...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

As You Age, Be Confident in Your Memory
As You Age, Be Confident in Your Memory
Ever forget why you went into a room or step out of the shower with shampoo/conditioner still in your hair? Whether you call it a brain fart or a seni...
How can I remember my TV programs if I have memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
If you have memory problems, create your own TV guide. If you have difficulty remembering the ti...
How should I organize my documents if I have memory problems?
Here are some suggestions to help you organize your documents if you have memory problems: Keep...
3 Tips for Better Memory
3 Tips for Better Memory