How can I tell if a loved one is having memory problems?

When trying to determine if a family member is having serious memory trouble, ask him what he had for dinner or to describe current events, or give him three objects to remember and five minutes later ask him what they are. If he has trouble with any of those questions, it's an indication that something's going wrong with his short-term memory—one of the signs of a serious cognitive dysfunction.
You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

Prevent Dementia at Any Age
Prevent Dementia at Any Age
Forgot something? You’re not alone. One in eight baby boomers has memory lapses, at least once in a while, a recent survey says. And whether you’ve fo...
How can I balance my checkbook if I have memory problems?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
Avoid omissions in your checkbook register by using duplicate checks. If you forget to write in ...
What is benign forgetfulness?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
Benign forgetfulness happens to the majority of people over age 65. It is annoying but not serious. ...
What Causes Memory Loss?
What Causes Memory Loss?