What chemicals can cause memory loss?

If you're experiencing memory problems that are causing you alarm, eliminate some key chemicals from your lifestyle first, before adding anything new. That includes such things as artificial foods (like sweeteners), monosodium glutamate, and even shampoo (better to make sure the inside of your head is clean, isn't it?).

Finally, despite their lifesaving benefits, statin drugs can uncommonly cause reversible memory loss, a discussion that you should pursue with your doctor if you are more concerned about your memory than your heart.

Surprising tidbit: Even over-the-counter cold and allergy medications can contribute to memory problems; in fact, injecting lab animals with a common active ingredient in these drugs, diphenhydramine, is a research model for memory loss that immediately simulates Alzheimer's.

You: Staying Young: The Owner's Manual for Extending Your Warranty

International bestselling authors of YOU: The Owner's Manual and YOU: On a Diet give you all the tools and know-how to stay young and defy the ageing process. Drawing lively parallels between your...

Continue Learning about Memory Loss

As You Age, Be Confident in Your Memory
As You Age, Be Confident in Your Memory
Ever forget why you went into a room or step out of the shower with shampoo/conditioner still in your hair? Whether you call it a brain fart or a seni...
How can I keep track of important medical information?
There are many free and paid apps available that can help you keep track of important medical inform...
How can I help someone with memory problems remember everyday tasks?
Shelley Peterman SchwarzShelley Peterman Schwarz
To help someone with memory difficulties remember how to do tasks such as make a meal, brush tee...
Is There a Brain Exercise I Can Do That Will Improve My Memory?